Sunday, March 22, 2009

StoryPeople

I love StoryPeople. It's one of my favorite websites ever. I love how the authors can put so much of life into words. They make words magical. They create art. I'm in love and so thankful to them for this gift.

Below are some of my very favorites. Which are yours?

Legacy
I promise you not a moment will be lost as long as I have heart & voice to speak & we will walk again together with a thousand others & a thousand more & on & on until there is no one among us who does not know the truth: there is no future without love.

Before Dawn
I've always liked the time before dawn because there's no one around to remind me who I'm supposed to be, so it's easier to remember who I am.

Sorrow
This is a box filled with the sorrow of all the people who have been forgotten & some day it will wash the world clean.

Bittersweet
She said she usually cried at least once each day not because she was sad, but because the world was so beautiful & life was so short.

Hidden Ocean
She held her grief behind her eyes like an ocean & when she leaned forward into the day it spilled onto the floor & she wiped at it quickly with her foot & pretended no one had seen.

Scraps of Magic
These are little scraps of magic & when you paste them together you get a memory of something fine & strong, she said.

Words of Comfort
There are days I drop words of comfort on myself like falling rain & remember it is enough to be taken care of by myself.

Listening Well
He had the gift of stopping time & listening well so that it was easy to hear who we could become & that was the future he held safe for each of us in his great heart you may ask, what now? & I hope you understand when we speak softly among ourselves & do not answer just yet for our future is no longer the same without him.

No Words
I read once that the ancient Egyptians had fifty words for sand & the Eskimos had a hundred words for snow. I wish I had a thousand words for love, but all that comes to mind is the way you move against me while you sleep & there are no words for that.

Value of a Nickel
I buried a nickel under the porch when I was 8, she said, but one day my grandma died & they sold the house & I never got to go back for it. A nickel used to mean something, I said. She nodded. It still does, she said & then she started to cry.

Landscape of the Heart
It is still so new & all we see is the empty space, but that is not how it is in the landscape of the heart. There, there is no empty space & she still laughs & grapples with ideas & plans & nods wisely with each of us in turn. We are proud to have known her. We are proud to have called her friend.

One of Us
Someday, the light will shine like a sun through my skin & they will say, What have you done with your life? & though there are many moments I think I will remember, in the end, I will be proud to say, I was one of us.

Living Memory
I carry you with me into the world, into the smell of rain & the words that dance between people & for me, it will always be this way, walking in the light, remembering being alive together.

Wish List
I wish you could have been there for the sun & the rain & the long, hard hills. For the sound of a thousand conversations scattered along the road. For the people laughing & crying & remembering at the end. But, mainly, I wish you could have been there.

White Birds

I have always thought that stars turn into white birds in the morning light & sleep with their heads under their wings until the dusk begins to walk through the streets.

Thousand Moments
I still remember the day the world took you back & there was never time to thank you for the thousand scattered moments you left behind to watch us while we slept.

Missing Piece
Wanting him to come back before anyone notices a part of the world has not moved since he left.

More Fair
They left me with your shadow, saying things like Life is not fair & I believed them for a long time. But today, I remembered the way you laughed & the heat of your hand in mine & I knew that life is more fair than we can ever imagine if we are there to live it.

Blue Squares
We lay there & looked up at the night sky & she told me about stars called blue squares & red swirls & I told her I'd never heard of them. Of course not, she said, the really important stuff they never tell you. You have to imagine it on your own.

Real Hero
Anyone can slay a dragon, he told me, but try waking up every morning & loving the world all over again. That's what takes a real hero.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

"More Fair" is my absolute favorite Storypeople. :-) Do you get the emails everyday from them? They make my day most days!

Janelle said...

I found out about Story People just two weeks before my best friend died. SP has helped me laugh, cry, and move on more than I can explain.

Sorry, I just found your blog when searching for a specific story people quote. Thank you for posting these.

.j