Monday, September 26, 2011

Some thoughts on food


In my house lately, we've been talking a lot about food. (We love food). We have all of the regular food conversations like what's for dinner, and what we need to buy for the week, and how I cannot seem to let a day pass by without some (all natural) peanut butter (with chocolate, of course).

But, we've also been discussing  other aspects of food and nutrition and health that are now becoming more newsworthy and more urgent. For example,

1. Some studies have suggested that if current eating trends don't change, three-fourths of adults in the United States will be overweight or obese by 2020.That's 8 years from now.

2. There are more obese people in the world now than hungry.

3. And a personal favorite of mine: the overabundance of processed versus whole foods (which is directly linked to points 1 and 2 mentioned above.)

Today, I woke up and as I was thinking about processed versus whole foods, I thought: wouldn't it be interesting to see if I could go one week (baby steps) without ANY processed foods? It would certainly be a challenge. Processed foods are everywhere and in almost everything. Living in NYC, and having a really long commute, it's easier and faster to simply grab a processed snack bar, pretzel or other such food than it is to sit down and eat a salad.

So, we'll see how this week goes without processed food (no white flour, sugar, or pre-packaged "foods".) I'll let you know how it goes!




1 comment:

Cristina said...

I LIKE it! Good luck. You'll be my inspiration.