Tuesday, January 27, 2009

It's Time

So, I decided that I am going to retract something I said in a previous post and share with you my New Year's Resolutions. It's not that I think you'll find them interesting or unique (let's be honest, they're the same ones I have every year!), but I am hoping that by writing them down, I will remember them and that by sharing them openly, I will have some accountability for completing them.

1. I am going to try new things & take more risks.
My sisters, one of my cousins, and I have decided that this year we're going to take turns every month coming up with something new for us to do. In January, we didn't really have a new activity, but we did go out and have an birthday bash for my father's 60th birthday (The restaurant closed at 11pm and we didn't leave until 4am. In our defense, the owner kept inviting us to more drinks.) We also went out and had a great time for my cousin's birthday last Friday. I am scheduled to pick March's activity and have already decided on a comedy night in Manhattan. Proceeds go to the Homeless Coalition. Laughs, fun and drinks, all for a great cause. You really can't go wrong.

2. I am going to be healthy.
Ok, when I said I recycled resolutions, this was the big one. (Literally.) But, I really need to get in shape because at the end of the day, it's my life we're talking about. Sometimes, I have no idea what I am waiting for. And I want to try to run another half-marathon for Christi this fall. If I'm not in better shape, it's not going to happen.

3. I need to keep up with the news more. And, read more in general.
Ever since I graduated, I have really not been keeping up with the news much. It's just not ok. I need to find at least an hour a day to read up (or listen to) world news. I miss the days when I had time to read the BBC, El Pais, and the Irish Times. At least I can read The Economist and The New Yorker on my way to work. And I do love listening to the BBC and NPR.
I also need to read more. As an incentive, I've registered on www.goodreads.com. I just finished The Audacity of Hope by, you guessed it, Barack Obama. I have a good book by Fergal Keane (an AMAZING human rights journalist and one of my very favorite writers. Ever.) next on the list. My goal is 2 books a month. We'll see if I can manage it.
I'm also taking a class at NYU's School of Continuing Education starting next week. It's on the Obama Administration and Foreign Policy. I know it's super nerdy to admit I am psyched, but I am!

That's it. I set no more than 3 resolutions a year. And, trust me, that's more than enough. Now, all I have to do is remember them over the next 11 months...

No comments: