Thursday, April 29, 2010

A really awesome update

I have to keep this short because I am at work and have so much to do it's kind of insane. BUT, I had to share some great news with you!

It looks like Ylaria has responded well to the chemo. She is out of the hospital now and back at the Ronald McDonald House. The doctors still have to scan again to see what exactly is going on with the disease, but she is up and walking with the help of a walker and is no longer complaining of constant leg pain. I have to be honest, I don't really know what this means for her prognosis, but it's been an awesome (and I'll say, miraculous) change from only three weeks ago. For more info, you can visit her website. Thanks so much again for all of your support, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it and how much I love all of you. You are awesome!!

Work is going. We're in our busy season now so I am working a lot. (Can I just say that a 6 day work week is no fun?) Though, I was just told I don't need to come in this Saturday so I am completely excited. I have no idea what I am going to do just yet, but I am trying to think of something!

In one of my last emails, I mentioned Erin's Lanyard project. My mom's school student council (She is a teacher in a middle school) has gotten involved and will be selling lanyards for the rest of the school year to benefit childhood cancer research (specifically, neuroblastoma-- the cancer Erin and Christi had and that Ylaria is currently battling). How awesome is that??? There are also some plans in the works for a bigger event next September. (September is pediatric cancer awareness month). I am making lanyards at home and it is super, super fun. (Well, minus the one time I was finishing one up (ie- tying it up) and ALL of the little clear glass beads fell all over the floor. I was not deterred however, and spent a good hour picking them up and redoing the lanyard. But it's all for a good cause, right? And it taught me patience, not to mention testing my vision. All good.)

And, this is a bit short notice-- I am so sorry, I have been horrible at keeping up with email these days! If you're free tomorrow and want to go to a Happy Hour for a great cause, please see below. (I plan on going so let me know if you can join me! And, no this is not the fundraiser I mentioned in an earlier email. But, you can never have too many happy hours, am I right?) Also, if you want to volunteer or participate in the Walk on Saturday, May 8th, please let me know. I'll be there! :p

Come to Happy Hour at The Turtle Bay (52nd & 2nd Ave) on this Friday, April 30th, from 6-9 pm, to help raise money for "Kids Walk for Kids with Cancer" and support pediatric research at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center! Enjoy 1/2 priced drinks and food specials 6-9 pm with the purchase of a $10 wristband, and we'll also raffle off several great items -- 100% of wristband and raffle proceeds will be used for research to help kids with cancer. On arrival just tell the host you are there for the Kids Walk or give the name Michelle, and you'll be directed to our area. All are welcome, so please spread the word!!

PS- see www.kidswalkforkidswithcancer.org for all info about the Walk, which is on Saturday, May 8

No comments: