Sunday, April 5, 2009

Pictures of the sun & such

I had a great day today. And, I really needed it. I've been feeling a little lost lately and so busy and tired that days like today are priceless. I didn't do anything special. I spent the day at home with my family, relaxing, doing nothing significant. It was very much a self-care day. I've been missing those.


So, here are my five things for the day:

1. The weather was so nice. It was bright and sunny and crisp. I went to a park a few blocks from my house and swung on the swings. Yup. I'm nearly 26 and swinging on the swings is still a favorite. I highly recommend it. It's good for your legs and even better for your soul. I then came home, took the picture below for #27 of LTLYM (and the one above just because I wanted to) and I laid down on the grass to enjoy the sound of the birds singing, the feel of the breeze on my face and the grass underneath. To experience some Spring.

2. I was able to run (on the treadmill) for nearly an hour. After weeks of pain (not entirely gone), it was so nice to run again! I absolutely love running. I love listening to music while I run. I love letting my mind wander. I love sweating. I love the way my heart feels. I love the way I feel when I've finished a good run. I love running.

3. I got to spend time with my family. With my work schedule, other commitments and 1.5 hours commute (one way) to lower Manhattan, I don't often get to just sit and chat with my mom and sisters. Today reminded me that I really love it. And, the trip to Starbucks for a Frappuccino was just icing on the cake.

4. I went to Church. I haven't been to church in a while (cough, cough--Ash Wednesday). Ever since graduating from Dartmouth and leaving Aquinas House, I've struggled with finding a place where I feel comfortable, welcome and "at home" in the Catholic community. It's one of the reasons I've let me Mass-going slip. I went today and it felt good for my soul. I still need to find a more liberal church for my taste, but my soul needed some renewal. It found some today.

5. I HEARD "WHERE I STOOD" ON THE RADIO!!! Ok, so the story behind the song (which actually *just* came on my iTunes. :p) I heard the song on OTH and fell in love with it. I can't explain why. I just love the song and I especially love singing along to it. It's a "sing along song" and I love songs that make me want/need to sing along to them. Sing along songs are not the same for everyone, but "Where I Stood" (by Missy Higgins) is one of those songs for me. (I kid you not, I was actually standing at the bus stop the other day, listening to my ipod, when it came on and I literally didn't even realize I was signing out loud until I caught myself half-way through. Fortunately, no one was around to hear me. It was a very "Olivia" moment. I've never heard it on the radio, but when it came on today as we got into the car, I actually gasped and burst out laughing. And, of course, singing along.

Clearly, I don't need much to make me happy.

Life is in the small things, after all.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Oh man, Missy Higgins is THE BEST!! I discovered her back in 06, my freshman year of college, and her website at the time would play her CD on a loop (it might still - not sure) so since they weren't selling it on itunes yet, I would just bring up her website, turn the speakers up, downsize the window and open up a new one to do my homework/blog/etc.

And yes, Me-Days are the best ... as is swinging :-) One of the deciding factors in my college decision was the fact that UNCG had a swingset plunked right in the middle of campus... I loved it!